Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Symbols

I know how important symbols are within all religions and within our culture as a whole and so I thought I might use this blog to learn a little bit more about the symbols of the Baha’i faith. I had always known about the nine-pointed star, which is one of the most important symbols in the Baha’i faith but I had never truly known all that was the meaning behind it. I even had necklace given to me for Ayyam-i-Ha, the Baha’i Christmas, but I never felt fully comfortable wearing it because I didn’t think I could really explain what it meant or even what it meant to me if asked. So I did some research and was greatly surprised that what I thought it represented was not quite so.

I found that the Nine-pointed star represents fulfillment and completion as nine is the highest single-digit number and also Bahá'u'lláh received His mission in the dungeon in Teheran nine years after the of the Báb, (meaning “The Gate”) who was the forerunner of the Baha’i faith, appeared in Shiraz. Though I had always believed that the Nine-pointed star represented the nine prophets of the Baha’i faith I was interested to find the difference.

The Ringstone symbol which was called this because it was worn on the rings of many believers was designed by `Abdu'l-Bahá, Bahá’u’lláh’s eldest son and appointed successor, and made by His friend and main calligrapher in Persia. The first level of the symbol is the world of God, the Creator, the second level is the world of His manifestations, and the third level is the world of man.

The vertical line through them joins the three bars in a representation of the way in which God’s Divine messengers link the world between Man and God.

The two five pointed stars on either side represent the Bab and Bahaullah.

The Greatest Name symbol ("Yá Bahá'u'l-Abhá") can be translated to O ‘Glory of Glories’ or ‘O Glory of the All-Glorious’ glory meaning Baha’u’llah when translated.

Symbols within a culture, especially that of a religion, is a real way for people to connect themselves with their faith and with their beliefs. Before when I would see the nine-pointed star I knew it represented something, but I had no real connection I could make to it and I didn’t feel any real attachment. Now that I better understand what it stands for and how it works within the context of the faith, I can better understand the importance.


All the information on symbols came from www.bahai.com and was excerpted from The Bahá'ís, a publication of the Bahá'í International Community:
1997 Baha’i faith. Electronic Document, http://www.bahai.com/Bahaullah/symbol.htm, accessed March 18, 2008.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

“As I got more deeply involved in the Baha'i community, my illusions about the Baha'i Faith as an open-minded and tolerant organization were shattered. What I found instead was an authoritarian, narrow-minded group hiding behind the rhetoric of universalism. And sadly, for a few years I myself was a Baha'i fundamentalist, an ideological fanatic trying to convert everyone to my Baha'i religious opinions in order to save the world.”

I am an individual who grew up under the Faith. I have to say that it has been the greatest enrichment of my life. As I grew older, I studied all religions, philosophies, and spiritualism, and the Faith and Buddhism still remain closest to my heart. I'm not actively engaged in the community these days, but I still consider myself a Baha'i.

I was mortified by the hypocrisy in the excerpt quoted above. How can he accuse the Baha'i Faith of fundamentalism, authoritarian rhetoric and narrow-mindedness - when all such vices have been the very backbone of the Christian church and its rise to power for nearly 2000 years?? Some facts: Baha'is DO NOT proselytize - it is against our beliefs. As well, we have no authoritarian clergy - people are meant to act to worship as individual entities. Furthermore, a Baha'i would never say - "Don't worship Christianity, for our path is more pure" Yet, that is exactly what this man is saying for his church. From everything I have read from this so-called holy man, I can only conclude that he has a selfish agenda - one that is wholly biased and misrepresenting. He doesn't want to enlighten people as to the truth... he wants to persuade people that his truth (ie Christianity) is the right, and all others should be shunned. If that is not fanaticism or fundamentalism, I don't know what is.

The Baha'is I've had the good fortune to know, have been the kindest, gentlest and most nurturing of any souls I have encountered. There was never hardline authority - but always a progressive impetus of change, growth and to better the world - with tolerance, patience and balanced moderation - never at the expense of another or another belief system. Unlike many groups, Baha'is won't seek you out... we don't recruit, we wait for the seeker to come to us when he or she is ready and willing.